- Set the agenda
- Set the roles
- What are you hoping to learn today?
- What’s expected of you?
- How does the team set roles and responsibilities?
- What is your role on the round? – ask or volunteer for one
- If the condition is new – look it up
- if the condition is common, how is this case different?
- If the case is undifferentiated, list the differentials and find out if your team has a framework for undifferentiated cases.
- If the child has signs examine them.
- What information is the team using to make management decisions. If you are not sure, ask.
- How is information conveyed to families?
- How do the team members interact with children of different ages?
- Seek closure
- Clerk patients
- What did you learn?
- Do you need to clarify anything?
- Did the round highlight any gaps in your knowledge or skill?
- Clerk a patient. Compare your ‘admission note’ with that of the team.
- When clerking patients try out a framework for considering all the differentials such as ‘SPIT the diagnosis’.
- If you have identified any new information share this with the team.